Tuesday, August 7, 2012

First Day Jitters Linky Party!

Ashley over at Fierce in Fourth is hosting a First Day Jitters Blog Hop!  Although I have entered some other linky parties, I feel like this one fits my mindset at the moment.  I'm also trying to put my blog out there to find other bloggers I can connect with.  I'm still a very newbie and I guess that's another reason I have the jitters.  lol

I too love the book 'First Day Jitters' and have read this to my students on the first day of school.  Wish there was a teacher's version.  If anyone knows a book for First Day Jitters for Teachers please comment below.


I believe it's not just the kids that have the jitters, but also the teachers, parents, principals, support staff etc.  We're all excited about what will go right, but nervous about what 'MIGHT' go wrong.  


My first day will be on August 23rd with a couple days to prepare the classroom and attend meetings.  *That is not nearly enough time to prepare for an entire school year, but it is what it is. :)  Back to School night is being held during the first week of school.  I like meeting with parents early, so I can let them know how they can help their child be successful that year.  It also gives them a chance to feel comfortable with where they're sending there child and with whom for the school year.  I liked that at Ashley's school they had a "Moving Up" assembly where the kids get to meet their teacher for the next year.  That would help to calm those Back to School Jitters.  Unfortunately, my school does not let anyone know their child's teacher until the Friday before school starts.  Why?  Probably because the office staff need to input the information into the computers and adjust to any enrollment changes that happened over the summer.  I also like that at Ashley's school there is an Open House before school starts to get paperwork and supplies tackled.  This doesn't happen at my school either, and probably because teachers are not paid to work until 2 days before the kids come back and those days are allocated for teachers meetings and putting our rooms back together-minimal time for planning. :(  I wish we could do this though! 


Here's the BLOG HOP:





I hope you will link up.
Rules-when you link up, please share 3 things that make you jittery about this upcoming school year.  If you already started, list what made you jittery.  Hopefully, those that link up will find some advice or at least someone they share similar jitters with. :)  Happy First Day to everyone!

3 things that give me the jitters:

1.  The countdown to the first day 'with' students always get's me nervous.  Will I be ready?  Always am, but as the clock winds down I find more and more things I should do.  Should I start?  Will I get done?  Awwwk!  This is the time of year that I'm the most productive, because when the year begins I have too much on my plate.  I'm a full-time mommy to 4 kids and they are between the ages of 23-11.  Their activities alone keep me hopping.  Then add in my activities and household duties.  Don't forget keeping the Spouse and 2 loving doggies happy too!  ***And now my new blog :)  Wow!  Talk about the Jitters!  This is giving me more of them :)  Not really, I strive on doing more than I should and love it!
2.  Of course meeting the parents and making a good impression.  Will I measure up to their standards and the favorite teachers from the past or better yet the teacher their other child had for 3rd grade.  Love to be compared, NOT!  We're all unique and have our own interests and talents.  That's what makes us valuable tools to giving children a well rounded education.  
3.  Always Back to School night-this night stresses me out!  I want to look professional, have my room organized and have all my ducks in a row.  Atmosphere is important!  Then I want my materials to be printed, organized, labeled, and ready.  *Copy machine please do not break down and cross my fingers that when I trudge to the office with my materials that the line is not 10 deep. :)

Thanks for stopping by and hope that you were able to find some humor in my jitters!  Please link up!! :)


BLOG HOP BELOW:




16 comments:

  1. I am definitely feeling the jitters about all of the above too. I always worry about the first impressions with parents! I just found your blog & I'm a new follower!! I am excited to follow along! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following! I returned the favor! Love your pirate theme :) Good luck this NEW school year!!!
    Tammy
    Groovyin3rd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! I totally relate to open house being stressful. Those are thoughts I go through as well :) I'm now following!

    Courtney
    flockingtofifth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome and thanks for following back :)
      Tammy
      groovyin3rd.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree open house is crazy! Thanks for stopping by! I'm following. Sorry about the previous comment, I messed it up!

    ~Mrs. T
    Teaching Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tammy,
    I’m your newest follower! I am a Newbie Blogger, so I appreciate all of the sharing of advice and ideas. Come on over for a visit sometime. Thanks!
    Corinna :)
    Teaching Fabulous Firsties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following. I checked out your blog and now I'm following! Good luck with blogging :)
      Tammy
      Groovyin3rd

      Delete
  7. Thanks for linking up!! Your blog is great and I can't wait to see more!

    I am right there with you with your jitters... especially with number 2 : making a good impression with parents. Last year was my first year and at Open House one of the parents said to me "Oh, we couldn't find the teacher. We thought you were one of the kids." RUDE! But I totally get it... I still look 18... HA! It's nerve-racking but we will survive!!! Best of luck!

    Ashley @ Fierce in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been teaching awhile, so I definitely don't get mistaken for a student now. However, that did happen when I was much much younger. lol
      Tammy
      Groovyin3rd.blogspot.com

      Delete
  8. HI!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am your newest follower!

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for following a fellow newbie blogger! You have a super cute blog and I returned the favor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tammy,
    Love your blog! Thanks for hopping my way. Like you I am building my blog one blogger at a time.
    Good luck with your school year as well. I look forward to learning from you and hopefully you will learn something from me along the way.

    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammy, you sound just like me! Glad to know there are others who are as crazy as me. I hope you can find balance between all things. . . that will certainly be my goal. Good luck on your new school year! Thanks for following me. . .I am your newest follower.

    Amy
    Mello’s Memos

    ReplyDelete